Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

03/30/13 :: RSL : SSFC -- KICK 18:00 (ECS FC Fundraiser)

Everything match specific.

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14:55 pm

Mauro had a horrid start last year as well. I don't see us being able to move him anywhere if he continues to play like he has.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby jbraaten » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:28:26 pm

Yedlin isn't perfect but he has a lot of hustle, getting better with crosses, and HOLY HELL HE CAN RUN BACK WTH PACE TO CATCH UP WITH DUDES.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:03:11 am

Llarian wrote:We bought out the wrong DP, unquestionably.

We sold the one for whom there was demand. Yes, we could have just bought out Mauro, but that would have not added any roster flexibility. Does not really help to remove a DP if you cannot replace them.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby bulldog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:16:47 am

Crouchatola wrote:R.Fletcher: Sigi how would you assess that first half?
Sigi: Horrible. We were absolutely horrible. You know, it wasn't good. We're lucky we're not down five nothing right now. Absolutely horrible.

R.Fletcher: And how do you hope to change that second half?
Sigi: We're gonna scream at them.

I hope so. That was abysmal.

mmm "scream at them"..and that sums up the expertise of the coach ..I can do that easier for mega bucks.

posted a long time ago about Mauro, respect what he has done, but it was easy to see last season what he had "lost"

at the end of the day management carries the ultimate can for poor results just like any job....
they make personnel decisions....

need to knuckle down and grind out some ugly results to get some confidence otherwise it will be hard to turn around the bad start.

Sigi won't be going anywhere due to the $$$...these owners love dosh and it would cost to pay him out.

at least lets try to win home games..

bottom line..so many teams make the playoffs
bulldog
Past ECS Member

Unread postby AndrewMC77 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17:49 am

More than the above mentioned points (under performing players, missing key players from last season) we look tactically unorganized as a team. Watching our games to start the season there seems to be no tactical cohesion and understanding as a team. This has manifested itself in different ways from game to game, but overall we are lacking a solid shape and identity. In the past we could play a mediocre game tactically and effort wise and still pull out results thanks to some inspired wonder goals/assists by Freddy. The responsibility for tactical shortcomings lies first with the manager. Yes the players must execute and stick to the system he preaches, but from what has been evidenced on the field thus far this season, there is little evidence such a tactical system even exists. For better or for worse, every successful manager has a system and a philosophy that he adheres to. This may not always mean results, but it gives the team and its supporters an identity. I am not one to panic and call for Sigi to be run out of town, but I am worried some of his shortcomings as a manager are starting to show through now that he does not have the talent on the field to cover for him. Just a thought.
AndrewMC77
Past ECS Member

Unread postby fortuna88 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38:26 am

finnfan wrote:

We sold the one for whom there was demand. Yes, we could have just bought out Mauro, but that would have not added any roster flexibility. Does not really help to remove a DP if you cannot replace them.

I would agree with Larian here. I think he means we should have kept Tiffert and payed off Mauro.
Not loaning out Freddy and keeping Mauro.
I could be wrong but at the Office viewing last week (San Jose game) There was a ECS member there I cant remember her name (she is of German decent) very nice girl and knows the game. She said the same thing. We let go of the wrong guy DP. I hadn't even thought of it before she said it but when I was already getting tired of slow/falling down all the time Rosales (that started for me in the first game against Tigres). I was startled at how right I thought she was and how much better off our team would have been. I would rather have an injured slow Tifferet than an injured slow Mauro Rosales.
I know Tiffert wouldn't have been a direct replacement for Mauro but he still passed the ball well and was really good at maintaining possesson. Mauro can hardly do either one now.He was good at it before but i feel and fear his time here is done. Time for us to move on. Seeing martins play and go back for the ball as much as he did last night I think Tiffert would have paired better with him and EJ than Mauro is know.
If we have any roster flexiblity it might be hard for Sigi to use it when were paying Mauro DP money and he is producing shit that isn't worth $70,000. Teams can put one guy on him and forget him. At DP money he should be demanding more than one player to take him on and freeing up others for a pass.
fortuna88
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Llarian » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02:03 pm

finnfan wrote:

We didn't sell Tiffert, we bought him out. There's zero difference between whether we'd done that for him, or Tiffert in terms of roster flexibility.

Do you mean to say that you think Mauro is more effective than Tiffert would've been?
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby finnfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:41:46 pm

Llarian wrote:
finnfan wrote:

We didn't sell Tiffert, we bought him out. There's zero difference between whether we'd done that for him, or Tiffert in terms of roster flexibility.

Do you mean to say that you think Mauro is more effective than Tiffert would've been?

Ah, yes. I was thinking of Fredy. Tiffert never seemed to even be in consideration for this season, so I had forgotten about him. You are right though, Tiffert would have surely contributed more than Mauro to the team by now. But somehow I got the idea that it was his choice to leave more than it was our choice to let him go. But of course that is pure speculation.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby fox3r » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57:34 pm

Tiffert is gone and Mauro is here. Please stop looking back and clutching at things that could have been. Last year, Mauro was one of our best producers of assists (if not the best). Stop using Mauro's current form for saying that the coaches should have predicted his crappy play so far (even though he is older and it does get a bit riskier) and bought him out instead of Tiffert. I'm not trying to defend Mauro (and he probably should get benched for Mario), but don't tell me that Tiffert would have for sure been much better.
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22:07 pm

fox3r wrote:Tiffert is gone and Mauro is here. Please stop looking back and clutching at things that could have been. Last year, Mauro was one of our best producers of assists (if not the best). Stop using Mauro's current form for saying that the coaches should have predicted his crappy play so far (even though he is older and it does get a bit riskier) and bought him out instead of Tiffert. I'm not trying to defend Mauro (and he probably should get benched for Mario), but don't tell me that Tiffert would have for sure been much better.

Mauro hasn't had a good game since September in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Supporting the club doesn't mean their decisions cannot be criticized.
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby fox3r » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34:27 pm

Llarian wrote:Mauro hasn't had a good game since September in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Supporting the club doesn't mean their decisions cannot be criticized.

I guess I just need to stop looking at all these boards with people calling bloody murder about everything and decided to respond to this one thing that is making me mad (and shouldn't be focusing my frustrations on one person's posts). Everyone has a right to criticize (I have done enough of it myself), but it just seems to me that people are just using hindsight to get some of their frustrations off their own backs.

I'm just fed up with Sounders fans going crazy after the first sign of trouble. I'm mad at the team, coaches, etc., but all this talk of Sigi needing to be fired now, Mauro should have been bought out instead of Tiffert, etc. is pretty ridiculous when we are just getting into a season. Last year when we had that bad run of games (like 8 pretty shitty ones) and the exact same thing happened.

But if at the end of the year Mauro is still crap and playing like crap, I will gladly support the decision for a buyout of Mauro or the possible replacement of Sigi (this one is gonna be harder because I don't really know who is going to be so much better or anything about who is realistically approachable).
fox3r
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Mon Apr 1, 2013 12:31:56 am

While that's fair, a lot of people have been saying that Mauro was ineffective for quite some time now.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, I hope so, but I think it unlikely.

There's a significant difference in saying that player who hasn't been effective since the middle of last season should be replaced vs calling for the manager's head as soon as we have a poor run of form.
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby Ultra666 » Mon Apr 1, 2013 4:42:57 am

I don't know what it is, but our FO (dating back to the USL days) seems to get a very late start.
There have been a number of seasons where it appears as though the first few months of the regular season are actually our preseason, as we are still bringing in players, and some players are just getting fit/healthy.

I am not a huge fan of this.

I do agree with those that say that we are not nearly as sharp or as focused tactically as we have been in years past.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby reasonbass » Mon Apr 1, 2013 6:38:14 am

My issue with Sigi (and I haven't been one to call for his head in the past) is that he does not appear willing to change his tactic to the situation / opponent. It's getting old watching the boys bang their heads against the wall.
reasonbass
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Mon Apr 1, 2013 8:00:47 am

fox3r wrote:Please stop looking back and clutching at things that could have been.

Followed by

fox3r wrote:Last year, Mauro was one of our best producers of assists (if not the best).

....yeah. Stop looking at what I can only assume was quite early last year. Mauro is a real nice dude, but he's old, continues to be injury prone, and slow. So I will confidently say that...

fox3r wrote:Tiffert would have for sure been much better.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day