Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

4/2/13 :: SSFC : Santos (CCL) -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Fri Apr 5, 2013 7:36:58 am

The idea of calling a player better than pretty much everyone we had on the pitch a reject of anything is fucking stupid in the extreme. He'd walk into our team.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SuperCodyNC » Fri Apr 5, 2013 7:49:22 am

SP The Ghost wrote:The idea of calling a player better than pretty much everyone we had on the pitch a reject of anything is fucking stupid in the extreme. He'd walk into our team.

Yeah, today. Not a decade ago, which was when he was rejected.
SuperCodyNC
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Fri Apr 5, 2013 8:49:23 am

SP The Ghost wrote:The idea of calling a player better than pretty much everyone we had on the pitch a reject of anything is fucking stupid in the extreme. He'd walk into our team.

Do you actually think people do not realise this? Yeah it would be a stupid chant if the tone was serious, but obviously it wasn't.

Plus that's not what the criticism linked above is about anyway. Their angle seems to be "how dare they say something negative about a national team player?" Surely you agree that is stupid.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Fri Apr 5, 2013 8:54:23 am

finnfan wrote:

Do you actually think people do not realise this? Yeah it would be a stupid chant if the tone was serious, but obviously it wasn't.

Plus that's not what the criticism linked above is about anyway. Their angle seems to be "how dare they say something negative about a national team player?" Surely you agree that is stupid.

If it's in the national media, it's safe to say I've at least entertained the idea that it's stupid :D

Yes, I do agree. FWIW
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Llarian » Fri Apr 5, 2013 8:56:29 am

The narrative at large seems to be slowly changing from "OMG THAT'S OFFENSIVE!" to "YOU GUYS SUCK AND ARE UNCREATIVE AND ITS A STUPID CHANT"

I'm sure not everything in the ECS realized the irony at chanting "Sounders Reject" at a 10 years gone Sounder who was on loan anyways and didn't get "rejected" at all and was far better than any Sounder on the pitch. I mean, this is the ECS, nuance isn't the strong point of a lot of people here. But come on, most people weren't thinking "Yeah, we rejected his ass cause he sucks!"

Much like racial/country of origin discussion regarding the You've got Healthcare chant, there's a certain degree of irony involved in chants like that that's self-deprecating.

Yes, I realize not everybody was thinking something like that, but most probably (hopefully) were.
Llarian
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby sounders7757 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 10:24:00 pm

Probably my favorite photo from the day and now my computer background! Really gives an emphasis on the supporters section-

Fanfare by Brandon Farris Photography
sounders7757
Past ECS Member

Previous

Return to Match Day