Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

4/2/13 :: SSFC : Santos (CCL) -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby Llarian » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:41:18 pm

I actually think this is one of Ochoa's better matches.

We looked worse when Joseph left the field, although he wasn't the only sub at that point.
User avatar
Llarian
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 6986
Joined: Tue May 3, 2011 10:27:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:42:13 pm

Llarian wrote:I actually think this is one of Ochoa's better matches.

We looked worse when Joseph left the field, although he wasn't the only sub at that point.


His ring rust was obvious, and to be expected imo, given what was said about him in preseason. He's clearly a class above Evans and Rose, even when he's half fit and playing at half-speed. Crollaa's point about his positioning is spot on imo.
User avatar
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020
 
Posts: 6131
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:33:58 am
Location: Location Location

Unread postby afecks » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:44:47 pm

Jabsco wrote:This. What a couple of drama llamas. SP disagreed with the opinion, and suddenly that's taken as people can't have opinions? Calm down.


He didn't merely disagree. He exploded with an over-emotional, expletive-laced rant that took aim at the PEOPLE before saying a word about their opinions.

finnfan wrote:Yeah, if you cannot deal with disagreement, it's best to stay away from football discussions.


Disagreement is one thing. Referring to other people's opinions as "shit" is another.
User avatar
afecks
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:36:37 am
Location: Mill Creek(ish)

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:47:41 pm

afecks wrote:
Jabsco wrote:This. What a couple of drama llamas. SP disagreed with the opinion, and suddenly that's taken as people can't have opinions? Calm down.


He didn't merely disagree. He exploded with an over-emotional, expletive-laced rant that took aim at the PEOPLE before saying a word about their opinions.

finnfan wrote:Yeah, if you cannot deal with disagreement, it's best to stay away from football discussions.


Disagreement is one thing. Referring to other people's opinions as "shit" is another.


Look, if saying "do me a fucking favor with this shit" hurts your feelings or upsets you, I'm sorry, but you're going to need to harden up a little.

Also notice the massive chasm between that and actually saying that YOU are a fucking moron or whatever. Ain't the same thing.
User avatar
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020
 
Posts: 6131
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:33:58 am
Location: Location Location

Unread postby finnfan » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:53:32 pm

Personal attacks are not allowed on this board, but I have not seen any in this thread. Feel free to check with another moderator for a second opinion if you disagree. Sure, it is impolite to call somebody's opinion shit, but that's all it is.

That said, let''s get back on topic here. If you want to talk about moderator decisions or board policy, feel free to do so on another thread or via PMs. And that's a moderator directive.

Oh and excessive use of expletives is forbidden on these boards, but as the posted rules state, we do not forbid them altogether. SP's post had one "fucking" and one "shit". That is certainly not excessive.

edit. apparently I'm immune to f-bombs as I seem to have missed two of them. :D
User avatar
finnfan
ECS Leadership
 
Posts: 16819
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09:04 am
Location: Center of the Universe

Unread postby jacktackular » Wed Apr 3, 2013 12:57:15 pm

holy hell that got out of hand

My point is and always was this; We played well but it is unrealistic to think that even at our best we can consistently beat the top teams in Mexico. After the start of the season we have had I was happy to see us moving the ball quickly and connecting passes while defending as a team...I think there is a good chance that we will have turned a corner yesterday even if it means we exit the CCL.

at our best we can go toe to toe with Mexican sides...we will not always get a result, but we give ourselves a chance. We did this last night even if the result didn't pan out. Our boys played well and it was the first time this season
User avatar
jacktackular
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33:49 pm

Unread postby finnfan » Wed Apr 3, 2013 1:02:32 pm

Yeah I agree we played well, especially the first 30 minutes or so we controlled the ball and were able to string a lot of passes.

On the other hand, Santos seemed to have come to Seattle with the idea that they'll happily take a 0-0, and if they can score on a counter, even better. They got exactly what they were looking for. The Sounders on the other hand did not even have a single shot on goal in the first half, so even if there were a lot of positives, we weren't exactly close to scoring.

When we finally got our first shot on goal in the second half, ironically Santos scored from the counter they got off that shot.

Tactically it was a very mature performance by Santos, and it worked out quite perfectly for them. As I tweeted at final whistle, in a match against a Mexican team we need something extraordinary to happen if we are to win. Yesterday nothing extraordinary happened.
User avatar
finnfan
ECS Leadership
 
Posts: 16819
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09:04 am
Location: Center of the Universe

Unread postby afecks » Wed Apr 3, 2013 1:12:55 pm

finnfan wrote:On the other hand, Santos seemed to have come to Seattle with the idea that they'll happily take a 0-0, and if they can score on a counter, even better


Makes sense, given our (and other MLS teams') history playing in Mexican venues.

It was so frustrating to watch them (Santos) run the same play over and over again, and to watch it continue to work over and over again.
User avatar
afecks
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:36:37 am
Location: Mill Creek(ish)

Unread postby RaveGooner » Wed Apr 3, 2013 1:45:44 pm

Starting from the back.

GK:
I thought Hahnemann did his regular bit for the most part. However, I felt he should have done better on the goal. His parry left himself wide open to be shot upon again. If he parries that wide or out for a corner perhaps the ball gets collected by Santos and crossed back in for another chance, but at least the defense would've had a chance to re-align.

Defense:
Say what you want about Zach Scott's ability. But I generally prefer him to JKH. Why? He actually tracks runners and works his balls off every time he's on the pitch. JKH has never been the same since his ACL went in 2010. Zach Scott will always give you everything he's got and makes no excuses. His play out of the back doesn't match JKH imo, but he makes up for it with what was said above, and add to that his aerial prowess both offensively and defensively.

Djimi was Djimi. However, I think you could tell that there was a little lack of cohesion between Traore and Scott. The communication while getting countered seemed to be difficult, but that's understandable b/c they haven't been together in the middle much so far.

Leo got the start, as he usually does against latin american opponents, not much else to say there. Yedlin has had some growing pains the last few matches imo. He seems to often rely on his pace and quickness to get him out of trouble. That may have worked in college and youth levels but it will only get him so far at this and any higher level. It's a shame Johanssen left, I feel he could have taught the rookie a lot. Yedlin's mentality and work rate are good, his positioning and compusure need to improve, but that should come with time and hopefully without costing us too much, as it did w/ Wondo's goal.

Midfield:
This is the toughest of all puzzles for us. So many players who CAN play inside, outside, or both. But finding the right combination, unfortunately, is going to take much more time i think. I thought Shalrie was the bright spot. He looked to play very quickly. Often taking a first touch pass out of the air or providing a quick layoff to a player nearby. I agree with what Sigi said in his post-match interview, saying that some players didn't seem to be quite ready for the quick pass from Joseph. More time in training and on the pitch now that SJ is fit will help. I think SJ will have a place to call home somewhere in our midfield on a regular basis if he can stay fit (keeping in mind this opinion is based off of only 70 or so min. that i've seen him).

Ozzie does seem to be lacking something at the moment. Idk if he's having a slow start, if he's frustrated, or it's just part of playing with someone new next to him every match. His best and only shining performance so far this year was at Tigres imo. I hope he gets back to that consistent hard-nosed player he grew into last season.

Mario is head and shoulders above Mauro these days, and it should stay that way. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Mauro get sold in the summer window, but it may be too early to call that one. Still not sure if Mario is a better fit on the RW or in a CAM role. It's nice to have that flexibility with a player of his quality though.

Caskey was abysmal imo. I was begging to get him off for Zakuani asap. It took far too long for Sigi to get Z on the pitch last night imo.

Evans did his normal bit, he ran a lot. I'm still not sure I've ever heard anyone provide a solid reason for why Brad Evans deserves to start more than just a player who gets rotated in for others when they aren't fit or are too tired when the games stack up.

FWD:
I thought Ochoa did what he could do last night. He has size and is difficult to knock off the ball, but I wouldn't call him a target player. He did a decent job of collecting and holding it up by himself on occasion, but seldom seemed to have the support he needed. He's a poacher, a true finisher. He needs service into the box and an opportunity to clean up the mess sometimes. Neither of which was supplied to him last night.

A further note, double digits in corners and I don't think we had one legit chance off of it. Santos is considerably better on set pieces than Tigres, but the service from the corner was awful. Too often we didn't even get the ball past the near post. Near post corners aren't a terrible thing...if you have a designed play for it. But that ball needs to be whipped in at pace between the six and pk spot for us to get chances.

First half was much better than the second. Once they got the goal we weren't good enough and it allowed Santos to gain the upper hand on the match for good.

Anyways, rant/analysis over. Hope the pieces come together and we get all the help and luck required to get the job done in Torreon next week. Cheers.
User avatar
RaveGooner
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59:26 pm
Location: Mukilteo, WA

Unread postby Nikolai » Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:07:36 pm

All I want to stress is Hahnemann was on point yesterday. He had a damn near perfect game. His positioning was superb so if it looks like some of those shots went right to him, it's because he was in the right position on all of them. We don't really have 1 backup keeper and a first team keeper, we have 2 first team keepers. Open cup will be good to us with him in net, despite our poor form.

On the goal, he did exactly what he needed to do. Covered his near post, made a great save the other direction and Gomez who was completely unmarked while we go 4v2 on the near post for some reason puts it upper V in the opposite direction. Literally nothing any goalkeeper could've done about that, even the best in the world. Yes you have to sort out your defense, which is kinda of his specialty, but when the attack is coming in hard like that you need to be focused on the player with the ball for that moment and he was which led to the initial save. Should've been at least 1 defender there to clear the ball at least, and we didn't have that.

Watch the replay on the goal, only an amatuer defense leaves Gomez completely unmarked on an attack like that. I thought our players had more respect for him as a striker than that.
User avatar
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 5:18:16 am

Unread postby RaveGooner » Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:18:35 pm

Nikolai wrote:All I want to stress is Hahnemann was on point yesterday. He had a damn near perfect game. His positioning was superb so if it looks like some of those shots went right to him, it's because he was in the right position on all of them. We don't really have 1 backup keeper and a first team keeper, we have 2 first team keepers. Open cup will be good to us with him in net, despite our poor form.

On the goal, he did exactly what he needed to do. Covered his near post, made a great save the other direction and Gomez who was completely unmarked while we go 4v2 on the near post for some reason puts it upper V in the opposite direction. Literally nothing any goalkeeper could've done about that, even the best in the world. Yes you have to sort out your defense, which is kinda of his specialty, but when the attack is coming in hard like that you need to be focused on the player with the ball for that moment and he was which led to the initial save. Should've been at least 1 defender there to clear the ball at least, and we didn't have that.

Watch the replay on the goal, only an amatuer defense leaves Gomez completely unmarked on an attack like that. I thought our players had more respect for him as a striker than that.


The parry still needs to be pushed wide instead of back into the goal mouth. That IS the difference between Hahnemann and a world-class GK. I thought he was perfect other than the goal. But such is life as a GK, people will focus on that one mistake that cost you the game regardless of anything else....
User avatar
RaveGooner
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59:26 pm
Location: Mukilteo, WA

Unread postby Jabsco » Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:41:40 pm

Question - who was on the bulk of the corner service? Am I wrong or was it the turrible Alex Caskey? Do we have a guy who can put in a decent ball?
User avatar
Jabsco
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48:22 pm
Location: Ballard

Unread postby Llarian » Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:56:39 pm

Jabsco wrote:Question - who was on the bulk of the corner service? Am I wrong or was it the turrible Alex Caskey? Do we have a guy who can put in a decent ball?


Caskey and Martinez.

I've seen better service from Martinez in a Honduras shirt, but he really seems to be bad at corners for us. Dunno why that is.
User avatar
Llarian
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 6986
Joined: Tue May 3, 2011 10:27:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Unread postby afecks » Wed Apr 3, 2013 4:01:13 pm

Llarian wrote:
Jabsco wrote:Question - who was on the bulk of the corner service? Am I wrong or was it the turrible Alex Caskey? Do we have a guy who can put in a decent ball?


Caskey and Martinez.

I've seen better service from Martinez in a Honduras shirt, but he really seems to be bad at corners for us. Dunno why that is.

It's the turf, dammit! If only we had grass!! :roll:
User avatar
afecks
Past ECS Member
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:36:37 am
Location: Mill Creek(ish)

Unread postby Jabsco » Wed Apr 3, 2013 4:16:01 pm

Llarian wrote:
Jabsco wrote:Question - who was on the bulk of the corner service? Am I wrong or was it the turrible Alex Caskey? Do we have a guy who can put in a decent ball?


Caskey and Martinez.

I've seen better service from Martinez in a Honduras shirt, but he really seems to be bad at corners for us. Dunno why that is.


Yeah, it's something. I'm never really confident that we are a threat on corners.
User avatar
Jabsco
ECS Member 2021
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48:22 pm
Location: Ballard

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day

cron

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests