Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

5/29/13 :: Tampa Bay : SSFC (USOC) -- KICK 16:30

Everything match specific.

Unread postby mlihlen » Thu May 30, 2013 5:44:32 am

jabbathehut wrote:It's not the loss that bothers me, but the fact that Sigi clearly didn't care about getting a result by putting out such a WEAK lineup, and the fact that our players never looked like they cared. For all the talk by our FO of "respecting the Cup and careing about USOC", today we looked like Hans Backe and the 2011 Redbulls. We played like the Taliban was forcing us to play against our wills. Just an absolutely EMBARASSING showing by the club, players and coaches. Not taking anything away from the Rowdies, they deserved their win, but we didn't even try. For the first time i can remember, im ashamed to be a Sounders supporter.

That's exactly what I saw. I lost count how many times they went up aggressively for headers and our guys stayed on the ground. Their heads beat us to virtually every cross, every set piece, every contestable ball in the air. They willed themselves to the ball. We clearly did not. Nothing showed Sigi's disinterest more than early in the second half when you could see the confidence of the Rowdies going up and up and he made no subs. When we needed to inject life into our side, he stayed pat. Even in his post game interview he tipped his hand "Now we don't have to deal with the distraction". These lower tier teams should not be walking on MLS clubs like this. We've had these listless games before, as recently as Saturday and I think it starts with coaching. You need to get your players ready not only physically, but mentally as well. We are clearly lacking in the latter.
mlihlen
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Jabsco » Thu May 30, 2013 7:22:23 am

The only lineup gripe I had, and it's one I will continue to absolutely fucking hate, is Rose and Caskey on the pitch at the same time. THIS NEVER WORKS. Midfield was terrible, and I don't understand why Shalrie wasn't in there for a little stability.

But, yeah, it was really a normal lineup for this round, so stop trying to blame the coaching staff. Wasn't the issue. (Though, I would have liked to see subs earlier, but that's something we're used to with Sigi anyway.)

Agree with Ultra666 though, there was a serious lack of desire out there. Odd.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu May 30, 2013 7:40:04 am

finnfan wrote:
Llarian wrote:Sigi did the exact same thing he's done in the initial round for the past 4 seasons. It wasn't enough this time, but to say that a reserve lineup is somehow disrespectful now but wasn't before is bizarre when the only difference is that we won previously.

THIS.

And it wasn't a terribly weak lineup on paper. On the field is a different story, but that largely falls on the players.

Ultimately the players aren't good enough. Scott, Burch, Caskey, Carrasco, Rose, Estrada - not good enough. In the cold light of day, I don't think you can argue with that.

And really, everyone seems to dick ride Mario Martinez, when (outside of the goal against Salt Lake) he's done precisely fuck all to deserve it. He's the next Montano.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby RatCity » Thu May 30, 2013 8:06:40 am

I think it's definitely time to start trying something new. That list that sp put up is a good place to start.

Kind of have to agree with the Mario comments too. I want that guy to be great and maybe he can be. But I'm not sure this club is where it will happen. Have not been impressed in his reserve matches or last night. It may even be a Marquez Complex he's dealing with. I also have not loved the way hes left the field after loses. Obviously he's not THE problem but I think there are a lot of players that need to be reevaluated for the future of this club.

They just don't seem to be playing together. Play seems very selfish at times.
RatCity
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu May 30, 2013 8:15:32 am

Let me clarify my point a little - I don't think there's anything wrong with those players, particularly, but you can't build a side full of them. As a stopgap, sure, they'll work and in many cases perform admirably. See Carrasco in SJ and Dallas games recently, Rose has had some good games, Estrada can score goals - but they can't carry a team for you.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu May 30, 2013 8:36:07 am

our second string players stock took a serious nose dive in this game. id like to see an entirely new crop next season.

there should be no need to see our second string again if we stay healthy and besides nats call ups.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Llarian » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39:00 am

I'd like to say not making CCL and not having that associated allocation money available made a big difference, but these are largely the same 2nd stringers as last year.

Our reserves are not good at all. If there's gonna be changes, I think that's actually a good place to start. Our XI is fine, when healthy, but when not healthy their replacements are mediocre at best now.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby Jabsco » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42:49 am

FuzzyForeigner wrote:there should be no need to see our second string again if we stay healthy and besides nats call ups.

This. The most optimistic thing I have to say right now is we shouldn't have to watch a lineup like that again this year.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby cethe » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58:19 am

i really felt like they let the shit pitch & wind frusterate them & not fight around it, ya know?

but also, i'm starting to see a lot more of what SP is talking about.

Mario seems to have potential but he's either too ambitious or too selfish most of the time
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu May 30, 2013 10:18:40 am

i feel for mario. I mean a possible future world cup player being asked to playe with second tier players. that has got to be frustrating.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby afecks » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03:36 am

FuzzyForeigner wrote:i feel for mario. I mean a possible future world cup player being asked to playe with second tier players. that has got to be frustrating.

In my mind, Mario hasn't done anything to earn the right to be frustrated about playing with second stringers. He had an amazing goal to advance us in the playoffs last year. Hooray! He's had a single assist in 8 appearances (4 starts, 393 mins) in MLS this year. In CCL he had 2 assists in 515 mins. In MLS playoffs last year, he had one goal in 202 minutes.

That 1,110 minutes on the pitch, and he has 1 goal and 3 assists to show for it. That's .081 goals and .243 assists per 90 mins - Roughly half as effective as Rosales' .148 goals and .504 assists per 90 mins between 2012 and 2013.

He may be a future world cup player, but his performance for this club hasn't been there. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe our style of play just doesn't mesh with his. Regardless, when you're half as effective as a guy who's more or less at the end of his career, and is hurt 1/3 of the time, I don't think you've got any right to be frustrated about playing with the second string.
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby finnfan » Thu May 30, 2013 12:07:55 pm

Yeah, Martinez has four starts in MLS this season and nothing to show for that. Zero. Zilch. Well one shot on goal in each of those matches, but that's it.

Maybe you could argue that a player that has his potential should be given more of a chance, but I'm not convinced based on his performance.
finnfan
ECS Leadership

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu May 30, 2013 12:25:07 pm

finnfan wrote:Yeah, Martinez has four starts in MLS this season and nothing to show for that. Zero. Zilch. Well one shot on goal in each of those matches, but that's it.

Maybe you could argue that a player that has his potential should be given more of a chance, but I'm not convinced based on his performance.

Look at Neagle. He was given a shot and grabbed it with both hands with good performances. If Mario can't do that, well...
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ProdigalReality » Thu May 30, 2013 6:37:00 pm

I'm convinced he's miserable here, and that it has affected his game. He was not happy when he was shipped here, and then told to sit behind inferior players.

Comparing him to Montano is unfair. Watching him with the NT, you see that he has the talent to be one of the top players in the league. Montano never earned the hype behind him.
ProdigalReality
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby afecks » Thu May 30, 2013 7:09:38 pm

ProdigalReality wrote:I'm convinced he's miserable here, and that it has affected his game. He was not happy when he was shipped here, and then told to sit behind inferior players.

Comparing him to Montano is unfair. Watching him with the NT, you see that he has the talent to be one of the top players in the league. Montano never earned the hype behind him.

Are you suggesting that maybe he's shitting the bed on purpose, to try and get transferred? Otherwise, I can't figure out why he wouldn't take every playing chance he has to demonstrate why he should be on the First XI.
afecks
Past ECS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day