Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

8/25/13 :: SSFC : PTFC -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby Ollie Board » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:23:55 am

endlessrevolt wrote:I think Joseph was nursing an injury for most of the match. He took a hard knock early on and didn't seem to be in it afterwards.

Yeah he was fitted with a knee brace and looked shaky. His distribution was atrocious. Alonso gave the ball away frequently also, and looked lost at times.

We struggled with their counter attack and only Gspurnings heroics kept our clean sheet plus Yedlins great headed block.

Rosales was the difference and Dempsey improved and linked up well with another creative player.

A good tough 3 points. 8 points off the top with 4 games in hand is a title contention!!
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby pugsly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38:16 am

http://goalwa.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/ ... tsoi-pics/

67,385 watch Sounders top Timbers (early Wilson Tsoi pics)

pugsly
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ericgi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25:28 am

Joseph was awful and a terrible matchup against a team with the pace that scum have. Just wasn't up for it... thankfully Sigi finally got a sub on earlier than normal (for him anyway) and the whole game changed immediately. Although really, Joseph should have been off at halftime.

Not exactly Gspurning's brightest moments in a Sounders shirt that last 20 or so minutes of the first half flapping at crosses and getting nowhere near them. Did come up big on Johnson's breakaway early in the game and a huge save on Nagbe at the end, but he should be thanking Yedlin among others for ensuring his mistakes weren't costly.

Begrudgingly perhaps, have to say Valeri is quite a player and has been all season. With him, that team is better than the sum of its parts. Without him, I think they're somewhere between SJ and Chivas out of the playoff places.

A win is a win is a derby win and all that goes with it, but this team just doesn't seem like it's firing on all cylinders yet. Next four matches set up well and we really need to pile up the points in all winnable games. Columbus will now be missing their best player Higuain for cards/suspension so need to take full advantage of that.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby MMClark » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01:10 pm

I really don't like Joseph's play anymore. He used to terrorize us when we'd play New England. We obviously did not hire that same player.

We would have lost that match without Yedlin. The clearance off the line was great and all, but any defender can and should do that. It was in all the other plays that he rocked it. Not very often do I see a defender get beat, catch up, and make the stop. If he can continue avoiding that rookie slump we normally see at some point, defender of the year?

Also, Honey Badger. My goodness.
MMClark
Past ECS Member

Unread postby uwmike » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:21:51 pm

So I'm a little confused at the standings right now. Why is Colorado in 3rd and Portland in 4th? They both have 39 points, but isn't the tie-breaker goals for? Portland 37 GF, Colorado 33 GF. In addition, Portland has a game in hand on Colorado. Just confused me when I read the "playoff scenarios" on the main MLS site today.
uwmike
Past ECS Member

Unread postby kallistec » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41:11 pm

uwmike wrote:So I'm a little confused at the standings right now. Why is Colorado in 3rd and Portland in 4th? They both have 39 points, but isn't the tie-breaker goals for? Portland 37 GF, Colorado 33 GF. In addition, Portland has a game in hand on Colorado. Just confused me when I read the "playoff scenarios" on the main MLS site today.

Got changed to wins, which favors any club except portscum 8-) due to the absurd number of draws they have. Second tiebreaker is goals for. Also, Crapids are way overrated in things like power rankings IMO, probably the people who write them are unable to sort by PPM.
kallistec
ECS Leadership

Unread postby robseam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37:15 am

Couple of notes...

Shalrie Joseph: I went back and watched the replay last night. He was slow (Shocker) and even slower after the knee brace but he only had one truly intercepted pass in 55 minutes. I was surprised to see that. I'll have to double check the opta stats when they come out but I wouldnt think he had more than three. The flip side to this good news is of course his lack of speed makes him a non-factor and often creates a hole in the middle of the park where we have had problems all season.

"Let Him Die": I was listening to Extra Time Radio this morning and our favorite MLS Troll, Simon Borg, was up to his old ways with this comment about the ECS chanting,"Let him die" at Jack Jewsbury while he was down with what was thought to be a head injury that turned out not to be. Borg said that chant destroyed all the good we had done with our tifo and that it was the "LOWEST" thing EVER done by a supporter group.

After I quit cursing at my car radio I did deep breathing exercises and realized that Simon Borg was in fact very good at his job. I feel confident that a let him die chant was not the worst thing ever done by an MLS supporter group, plenty of other groups use that very same chant or a slight variation on the theme, and that the physical assaults the 1906 Ultras have inflicted upon the TA, ECS, LA Galaxy and other clubs, along with almost all of their tasteless tifo would likely take that cake.

But ok Simon, Your right. Our LHD chant must be the worst thing ever done in the history of soccers ever! I'm not a particular fan of the chant but I'm not totally against it either. Borg is just being a typical troll though and trying to stir up controversy.
robseam
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Ultra666 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49:59 am

People give that blogger way too much attention.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54:34 am

Ultra666 wrote:People give that blogger way too much attention.

you know i think he used to be part of the empire supporters club and then got hired onto NYRB FO then MLS.
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ultra666 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58:17 am

If he was, then he would know that past clashes between D.C. and NY have been far worse than a chant directed at an "injured" player.
Ultra666
ECS Founder

Unread postby Llarian » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15:18 pm

Oh, I'm sure he knows. He's paid to rile people up, it shows in all his work. He's not, in fact, a talentless hack, he just gets paid to play on on TV.

He's very good at what he does actually.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby jacktackular » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07:48 pm

Llarian wrote:Oh, I'm sure he knows. He's paid to rile people up, it shows in all his work. He's not, in fact, a talentless hack, he just gets paid to play on on TV.

He's very good at what he does actually.

I am not with you on this...He is supposed to be the devil's advocate, get people riled up to encourage discussion and generate interest/clicks

Instead he is a transparent troll and undermines the MLS' credibility
jacktackular
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:31:34 pm

Shalrie tore his MCL. Out 4-6 weeks.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby robseam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:41:17 pm

SP The Ghost wrote:Shalrie tore his MCL. Out 4-6 weeks.

Well shit...that dude can't catch a break right now.
robseam
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04:07 pm

robseam wrote:
SP The Ghost wrote:Shalrie tore his MCL. Out 4-6 weeks.

Well shit...that dude can't catch a break right now.

I'm impressed that he played 30+ minutes with a torn ligament in his knee. Explains a lot about his performance as well.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day