Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

9/21/2013 :: LA vs. SSFC -- KICK 19:30

Everything match specific.

Unread postby JerrarDAtkinson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39:23 pm

Can we talk about this?

ok it's on NBCSN...got that out of the way.

LA have a CCL match tomorrow vs Metapan. It's a home match and they probably won't have any trouble progressing from the group, so it sounds like it will be a mostly-reserve squad. Still, it's one more distraction for Arena and another opportunity for a few of their players to get fatigued.

The obvious talking point for us will be what Sigi decides to do with a full-strength squad at his disposal. One blessing in disguise for him this season is that the injuries and Nats call ups have taken some pressure off him when it comes to squad selection; perform with reserve players and credit goes to the boss, don't and he can be forgiven for not having his best options available. Sigi is bound to be the target of the head hunters if things don't go our way, so he's got to get it right.

I'd guess it will be Traore, if fit, and Hurtado as the cb pair. With the pace LA have on the break, and lack of a physically-dominating striker, Scott isn't the right guy and I'm not sure if Ianni has enough games to get the nod here.

I don't see Sigi sticking Dempsey anywhere other than underneath the striker in the free role. If Martins is fit he's got to be the striker. It will be Ozzie + Evans or Rose at cm, and Rosales on the right. For me, that leaves the big decision being between Neagle and Johnson. Strong cases could be made for both, but personal feelings aside, I choose Johnson.

I will be SHOCKED if Sigi goes with the line up that I've been seeing most people shout for, with Dempsey underneath Johnson and Oba and Neagle and Rosales on the wings. I'd call that a 4-1-5 and I just don't see it, regardless of how effective it is in FIFA. Although, if we're down a goal with 15 mins left I'd love to see Sigi go for it.

We'll still be buzzing after the result against RSL. Hope to see that confidence carry over. Another early goal this weekend and 3 points are ours.
JerrarDAtkinson
Past ECS Member

Unread postby robseam » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02:38 pm

AJ DelaGarza is hurt and likely won't play either. That's a hit. I'm hoping Ozzie and EJ have a chip on their shoulder after that 4-0 ass whipping we carried home from the last match. This should be a great night of football.
robseam
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby ericgi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22:19 pm

This is about the perfect time to get LA away off the fixture list. They have fixture congestion with CCL, a few guys picking up knocks, and we're on a great run of form and getting healthier.

And it's another one of those games... another monkey to get off our back. Hopefully we come in with a chip on our shoulder and get after it... prove to ourselves we can get a result there when we need it.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Futbol4Life » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29:21 am

Anyone know player injury status? Traore?
Futbol4Life
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby ericgi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:55:52 pm

Would imagine Mayers should have the injury report sometime tomorrow on his blog.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby nuthatch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04:51 am

I'm going to be in Chicago - anyone watching this somewhere? We are staying in Lincoln Park.
nuthatch
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby cethe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:22:46 am

i haven't seen Josh's injury report, but S@ "3 questions" article only listed Zakuani as out for us, not injured still, but not match fit either
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby endlessrevolt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28:47 am

Even if he were 100%, no way he'd start. Too many other players who are in great form.

Here's our full injury report as of last week, though:

Josh Ford (R patella fracture)
Shalrie Joseph (R knee sprain)
Steve Zakuani (athletic pubalgia)
Will Bates (R knee)
Brad Evans (L calf strain)
Djimi Dylan Remick (L hamstring strain)

Assuming Evans will be off the list when it's updated, though.
endlessrevolt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby JerrarDAtkinson » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14:22 pm

Every match feels like a cup comp. This is awesome.
JerrarDAtkinson
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:10:58 pm

Hahnemann apparently is questionable. He travelled, but so did Herrick.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby ob4444 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:30:15 pm

Dempsey out
ob4444
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Ollie Board » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46:23 pm

Disgusting tackle.. How we are only drawing this goes beyond me!!
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby Ollie Board » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53:43 pm

Great result. Could have been easily 3 points, Supporters shields with the green emerald army

LGS!!
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby SimonM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38:59 pm

Very happy with the result, and over the course of the game we probably created as many good chances as they did, so you could make a decent argument that we deserved it. Still, I can't help but feel that we still need to improve on many aspect of playing against them, The Galaxy's whole gameplan revolves around forcing you into giving them the ball in bad areas, and although we did better with that than in previous games down there, it still happened way too much. We also need to do better at tracking their runners. The back four had to do an awful lot of scrambling tonight. Our midfield got a little overrun at times. I'm sure that plugging Evans in there in place of Rose would help, but still, plenty to think about before we next play down there.

It's easy to bash Scott for giving up the free kick and then getting the red, but in truth, I thought both him and Hurtado were magnificent tonight. To limit the Galaxy to so few good chances, when they had so much quality possession around the box, was a major achievement. With that said, I'm a little confused (and maybe a little concerned) about Traore not starting. He's been our best defender all season, so why is he suddenly sitting on the bench? I don't buy the "Zach Scott brings more passion" explanation. Hopefully it's just me being paranoid, and presumably (with Scott getting the red) Traore will be starting against New York so long as he's fit, so hopefully it's nothing.

Oba is one emotional player. Wow. That stare that he gave Sigi when he was substituted was kinda terrifying. Of course, he gives referees the same stare on a a consistent basis, and has the same anger at himself when he misses a chance; he's nothing if not consistent :D .

Assuming New York beats Dallas tomorrow (which they should), we get another 'battle for first' game next weekend .It's insane the way our schedule has worked out, with these three huge six-pointers in a row. LA is now five points behind us (with a bunch of other clubs in between) and only have five games left to play, so we probably finished off their supporters shield chances tonight. RSL are two behind us with only four to play. Barring something extraordinary, looks like it's between us, New York and Kansas City at this point.
SimonM
Past ECS Member

Unread postby vallenato78 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11:55 am

Simon, I am very disappointing your post was not filled with EJ bashing ;)
In all seriousness I think that game could have gone either way, but I am glad to escape with the point. Especially with how that game ended.
Also agree Scott and especially Hurtado had a great match. Keane destroyed us last time we played and this time around Hurtado stopped him and frustrated the shit out of him. Rose was not very good but fuck it we got a point. It was Moffet's first game with us so hard to form an opinion just yet but I am hopeful.
vallenato78
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to Match Day