Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

10/9/13 :: SSFC : Whitecaps -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby jabbathehut » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23:04 am

jabbathehut
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42:00 am

Tactical masterclass by the manager, if his plan was to give up the fourth goal by removing a player in the one zone we were getting slaughtered in the whole game.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby kureejiikuri » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13:50 am

So clearly, our defense's weakness is a counter attack with a speedy midfielder, who outruns 3/4 of our players and dribbles around a GK, who isn't very confident in one-on-one situations. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, all of Vancouver's goals played out the same exact way.

Who do we have, aside from Yedlin, in our roster that can catch up to these small, fast players and clear the ball? Clearly, it isn't Hurtado, Traore, or Burch. These guys got outrun. Scott? Ianni? Gonzales? Anyone?

We gotta have someone back there that will be ready for these counter attacks. I feel like a lot of the goals that are scored against us, are counter attacks with a fast little midfielder.

Is Hahnemann better on one-on-ones? Non rhetorical questions.

For Portland, the defense needs to focus on their strengths and shut those down. Also, cover all bases: set pieces, counter attacks, bullshit shots from 40yrds out, etc. When we went in last night, we thought that Felipe (or is it Camilo? I always get them confused) would be our biggest concern. Valid, the guy can score from anywhere. But we left huge gaps in our defense. Alas, an 18 yr old gets a hat trick.

While my heart hurt a lot as I left the stadium that night, I have not lost faith. These two losses have been painful, but there's no reason to panic. We can still do this. Last minute, but it can and will be done.

And I have no idea what to say about our mid/attacking line.

That's a-whole-nother disaster I don't want to get into.
kureejiikuri
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby MrB206 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:31:26 am

I'm no football manager, but it seems to be the Sounders are a 'sideline' offense and the Whitecaps appeared to be a 'center' one. It didn't seem like the defense caught on to that, because they kept letting things through.

I also appreciate the European-style of pass and footwork the boys use, but you have to match your opponents and that sort of lackadaisical playing isn't going to cut it with a team like the 'Caps.

So what does this mean for the Cup? Anyone know if we can still win it?
MrB206
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36:07 am

MrB206 wrote:I'm no football manager, but it seems to be the Sounders are a 'sideline' offense and the Whitecaps appeared to be a 'center' one. It didn't seem like the defense caught on to that, because they kept letting things through.

I also appreciate the European-style of pass and footwork the boys use, but you have to match your opponents and that sort of lackadaisical playing isn't going to cut it with a team like the 'Caps.

So what does this mean for the Cup? Anyone know if we can still win it?

I assume you mean Cascadia?

A win at Portland and we win the cup. Any other result and Vancouver wins it.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby MrB206 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46:35 am

Yikes. Talk about a showdown. Though I guess if the boys win, we'll already be in Rose Shitty to bring George back with us. :D
MrB206
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09:35 pm

Well if Colorado was a shitshow, I don't know what the hell to call last night.

Other than absolutely unacceptable.

For me, this is the most painful performance I've ever watched out of Sounders. From the NASL era onward. Yes, more so than either of the two 0-4 results against Galaxy, more so than the 0-3 away to RSL in the playoffs, and more so than the 8-2 aggregate loss to Vancouver in the 2002 playoffs.

I hate losing to Vancouver more than any other team, because of the competitive nature of the rivalry since 1974. Portland sucks because of the recent era fan aggro, but on the field where it counts, I hate losing to that team more than any other.

Not sure what to classify last night as. Whether it was lack of effort, or the manager lost the plot, or what... but something has to change, and if I were the manager, every single place in the XI will be up for competition in training starting today. No one's place should be safe after two gutless performances like that. Even if we lose on Sunday, at least put 11 men out there that will fight for the shirt with everything they have.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby Wibby » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28:56 pm

Burch was oddly forward on each goal scored. Wonder if this was him being out of position or by design.
Wibby
Past ECS Member

Unread postby afecks » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27:26 pm

I felt like Gspurning wasn't getting down as well as he has in the past. Two shots to the gut that bounced through the 5-hole, and he usually just falls on those. I'm wondering if the he's hurt.
afecks
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Nikolai » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45:37 pm

afecks wrote:I felt like Gspurning wasn't getting down as well as he has in the past. Two shots to the gut that bounced through the 5-hole, and he usually just falls on those. I'm wondering if the he's hurt.

His head just doesn't seem to be in the game lately. HE GOT MEGGED TWICE! I've been pretty discouraged with the goals scored on him the last month or so, even when we won those matches. He can do much better. I want Hahnemann, but Sigi doesn't have the balls to put him in.
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59:52 pm

Nikolai wrote:His head just doesn't seem to be in the game lately. HE GOT MEGGED TWICE! I've been pretty discouraged with the goals scored on him the last month or so, even when we won those matches. He can do much better. I want Hahnemann, but Sigi doesn't have the balls to put him in.

I'm not sure about that. Sigi pretty clearly said we had goalkeeping issues, and that nobody on the team is safe right now.

I suppose actions speak louder than words. We'll see.
Llarian
ECS Leadership

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:22:12 pm

Llarian wrote:I'm not sure about that. Sigi pretty clearly said we had goalkeeping issues, and that nobody on the team is safe right now.

I suppose actions speak louder than words. We'll see.

Fan poll - for what it's worth - is about 50/50 at the Seattle Times as of right now.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby kureejiikuri » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:27:13 pm

It honestly wouldn't hurt to put Hahnemann in. It would at least give Gspurning some room to reset and regain confidence.

I mean 9 goals in 2 games would shake anyone's confidence at this point.

Also I'll admit, I shed a tear or two on the bus, after I left. I had to leave early since I had work in the early am...but man, this loss really hurt my heart.
kureejiikuri
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby Ollie Board » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:25:35 pm

As soon as the game started and we went on GUNG-Ho attack playing with slow defenders in a high line we were always getting hit on the break. It's like we are too dumb to learn from our mistakes. I don't think I've ever seen four carbon copy conceded goals in a match before :shock:

Also I'm sure others have noticed as well as I that Martins cannot hit a barn door. Every striker fluffs a chance every so often but Obi has been consistently of target. My Nan would've scored that free header :wall:

I'm sorry but when you have Neagle on the field and Estrada , Lamar fits in left and Estrada is the target man for link up play around the box. I have no clue why Yedlin plays at full back when he's hardly ever in position and there's nobody designated to covers him.

I hope Sigi sorts the formation out and plays a sweeper because if we line up the same again we can expect to concede another bag-full!! :oops:
Ollie Board
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:34:27 pm

Ollie Board wrote:As soon as the game started and we went on GUNG-Ho attack playing with slow defenders in a high line we were always getting hit on the break. It's like we are too dumb to learn from our mistakes. I don't think I've ever seen four carbon copy conceded goals in a match before :shock:

Actually, Colorado at home 2-3 years ago played a high line and we beat them like a drum... all the goals were pretty much the same thing.

scum have a similar pace problem to present us so it will be interesting to see if we've learned anything and adjust the tactics accordingly.
ericgi
ECS Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day