Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

I may be moving to Spokane. What should I know?

Group based in Spokane, WA.

Unread postby CMcKenna » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:45:00 pm

I am an EMS worker of 12 years and may be getting a job with AMR. I know nothing about Spokane for the most part. I need to be informed of the good neighborhoods to live. What else should a Newby to the city know? Thanks ahead of time!
Chris
CMcKenna
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Frankiedabarber » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57:37 pm

Sounders games can be watched at Tecate Grill on Wellsley and I think they are also watching games at the Monterey Cafe.

Monterey Cafe has really good pizza and is downtown

Get tattooed at Boars Head Tattoo in Downtown Spokane

There is a good church that meets at Promise Boxing called Deliverance Bible Church

Mootsys is a good watering hole

Cheers
Frankie
Frankiedabarber
Past ECS Member

Unread postby CMcKenna » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:44:31 am

Thanks for the info! Anyone else got the hookup on the good neighborhoods? Oh and how bad is the winter driving? Tell the truth! Can I drive a Honda CR-Z all year?
CMcKenna
Past ECS Member

Unread postby pendleton509 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07:44 pm

garland neighborhood is good and all of the south hill. shadle area is nice. stay away from hillyard and especially west boone area if you are looking for nice areas. the northside is fine, but sometimes a longer commute (until they finish the north-south freeway) the valley is alright. most of the cool older houses that have big shade trees and nice streets are on the south hill. south perry is another good area. brownes addition has some good stuff and has recently become the hip place to be and it's close to downtown.
we are used to snow. you may not be. if you now how to drive in snow youre fine. the streets get plowed. if it snows really heavy dont take your car off plowed roads too far that day. get snow tires or use chains if it gets real bad.
pendleton509
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby squarehead » Fri Sep 2, 2011 9:52:24 pm

http://www.spokanegis.org/crimemap2/ + http://www.walkscore.com = win.

How much are you planning on spending per month? And what do you mean by "good" neighborhoods? With the exception of the areas around Manito and Comstock, even "good" neighborhoods have bad streets and even some bad neighborhoods have comparatively OK parts (based on my limited experience).

I hope whoever taught you to drive gave you some snow driving lessons. Rule #1 - Don't panic. Rule #2 - I told you not to panic!

PS The valley isn't dangerous or anything but it is obnoxious and ugly even when you're off the freeway.
squarehead
Past ECS Member

Return to 509 Prime (509)