Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Away Trip - Austin FC - 2021-07-22

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby cstyles206 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:30:54 pm

i have purchased a resale ticket on seatgeek for $170 because there is no way i am missing this match. i would love to sit with other sounders fans, so i am definitely open to buying away tickets directly thru austin if that becomes possible. i imagine i should be able to resell the ticket i bought today, if that happens. thank you!
cstyles206
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby mrMTB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:35:31 pm

FelixForever34 wrote:I am curious, what changed from the announcement of ECS Selling Away tickets until today?

I jumped the gun on posting the announcement. We had heard, from other SGs, what Austin was charging them for tickets. We had conversations going about the inappropriateness of it. After continued discussions, we could not be a part of them fleecing supporters to the tune of a 50-60% premium over our next most-expensive away ticket (PDX at $49, if you were wondering).
mrMTB
ECS Leadership

Unread postby SpacePunk » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49:49 pm

Paid $210 for a single from SeatGeek - it is front row section 134, so hopefully I will get the chance to heckle Matthew McConaughey for the gouging. No hard feelings towards the ECS. These things happen.
Last edited by SpacePunk on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpacePunk
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby SpacePunk » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52:49 pm

Also interested in any meetups - I am driving up the 35 from San Antonio on the morning of the match. If anyone needs a ride from the Alamo City let me know. Staying over, but then driving back early on the Friday as I have an 11am flight.
SpacePunk
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby shieldk2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:40:58 pm

uwmike wrote:Side note - am I incorrect in thinking that ECS leadership is a bit in the wrong here (if not please educate me). I thought the purpose of getting the away tickets here was to secure a discount from what the home club charges - in this case $75 is outrageous for MLS supporter standards yes but still seems to be half of what the going rate is. I'm familiar with the #soccerforall movement but those folks that already made plans are going to end up paying even more by not being able to buy the $75 ECS negotiated tickets. Do we expect the Austin FO to suddenly change their mind on how they treat away supporters groups?

We do a lot of work negotiating many aspects of gameday with opposing front offices, including as much as possible for ticketing. There have been many fights in the past that we’ve had to deal with to (mostly) decent results. In this case, giving people the option to buy a ticket for ~$75 was not something that we felt was in alignment with Soccer For All.

It is incredibly unfortunate that it does hurt those that have planned on making this trip and those that will still choose to. And for that we are all very sorry. Several of us on leadership were also looking forward to this trip. This was not a decision made lightly or carelessly.

Our point of view is a long one. Our actions may not have the desired outcome on this single away trip. However, by standing by our principles, we hope to spread the message that this is unacceptable and prevent the next FO from deciding to take advantage of passionate supporters. Once we tell them that $75 for a midweek regular season game is okay, every FO in the league will take notice and that will become the norm. Then it won’t just be away, but home tickets as well.

I believe that soccer should be accessible to all and will continue to fight for that. I think that is something we all have in common. Hopefully, this maddening and unfortunate event will be a one-off that rallies support from other fans and supporters across the league. Then the Austin FO might change their mind on how they treat away supporter groups.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby dinero1976 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51:00 pm

Curious to what degree SSFC FO is involved in supporting the supporters in this situation.
dinero1976
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby shieldk2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54:15 pm

dinero1976 wrote:Curious to what degree SSFC FO is involved in supporting the supporters in this situation.

Right now, not at all. However, we do not ask them for help in order to protect our independence.
shieldk2
ECS Leadership

Unread postby FelixForever34 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56:49 pm

mrMTB wrote:
mrMTB wrote:I am curious, what changed from the announcement of ECS Selling Away tickets until today?

mrMTB wrote:I jumped the gun on posting the announcement. We had heard, from other SGs, what Austin was charging them for tickets. We had conversations going about the inappropriateness of it. After continued discussions, we could not be a part of them fleecing supporters to the tune of a 50-60% premium over our next most-expensive away ticket (PDX at $49, if you were wondering).

I appreciate the candor, its kinda refreshing.

Yes I know PDX Fleeces away tickets, selling seats for more than they would sell to single game ticket buyers.
I've been in support of boycotting them to send the same message.
I personally have boycotted them and refuse to go to games in PDX, I will actually pay more to attend other games to teams who do not sell a cheap seat and because its "away", charge them "club seat" prices.
If a teams lowest normal face price ticket is $200 for a nosebleed. I would pay that before I would pay $49 for a ticket they sell to others for under $30 if we werent "Away" fans

I support ECS as a whole to boycott Austin, What Austin FC is doing, its wrong and their values are effed up imo.

Unless the decision to boycott happened 1 hour before the announcement
I would like to suggest....that if there is any chance of tickets not being sold as announced to members (non-members should have no expectations).....at least some attempted to make members of such discussions or thinking of the potential changes coming
Assuming the decision was probably made the night before .....
Even a post in this Away forum saying that the boycott is happening or likely to happen...
Since the boycott was close enough to announcing the sale of tickets, it would help those who booked or to save $$$ changed to saver fares that cant be cancelled or changed. (24 hour booking windows can still be cancelled)
Word can get around,

I just feel sorry for a couple people who did change to cheaper non refundable about 30 hours before the announcement.
No perfect solution unfortunately.

Eff Austin and the Timbers
FelixForever34
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby uwmike » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:04:19 pm

mrMTB wrote:For those of you who have purchased airfare, I'm working with Austin to get you a contact to purchase tickets directly. Should have something soon (I've been thinking that about Austin for weeks now.)

Is this still a possibility? I reached out to them today and they said the secondary market would be the only option for us but not sure if it was just someone unaware of our situation.
uwmike
Past ECS Member

Unread postby mrMTB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:08:42 pm

Unless they change their tune on pricing, no. I have reached out to try and secure a channel for individual purchasers. Austin's response was that any purchase of the seats designated for away supporters would need to be a group purchase.

uwmike wrote:
mrMTB wrote:For those of you who have purchased airfare, I'm working with Austin to get you a contact to purchase tickets directly. Should have something soon (I've been thinking that about Austin for weeks now.)

Is this still a possibility? I reached out to them today and they said the secondary market would be the only option for us but not sure if it was just someone unaware of our situation.
mrMTB
ECS Leadership

Unread postby dinero1976 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:19:23 pm

For anyone making it to Austin, have you identified a prefunk bar? Or is it straight to stadium?
dinero1976
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby cstyles206 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:17:04 pm

dinero1976 wrote:For anyone making it to Austin, have you identified a prefunk bar? Or is it straight to stadium?

it looks like there are like 4 or more breweries pretty close to the stadium...i am definitely leaning towards austin beerworks
cstyles206
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby cstyles206 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:32:51 pm

there is also a seahawks bar called "the common interest" that is a quick bus ride from the stadium...
cstyles206
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby dinero1976 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50:28 am

-the common interest will be my viewing spot (unless i come across an affordable tix) during and after game. Karaoke Bar!!!!
dinero1976
ECS Member 2021

Unread postby SpacePunk » Sat Jul 3, 2021 9:56:14 am

I think I'll join folks at the Common Interest, indeed looks like a 13 min bus ride to the stadium.
SpacePunk
ECS Member 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Away Trips