Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Why I travel

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08:15 pm

Why do I go on away trips?

Although I didn't go to as many trips as some others did last year, I was very blessed to be able to make 11 away trips last year. I am already booked for 1 for 2013, with plans in the works for 3 others. I would never have had so much fun, met more awesome people, or did some of the crazy things that have happened, if it weren't for away trips with my ECS boys. I have been swimming in the pacific ocean at 3 am, walked the National Mall with some awesome people in the dead of the night. Spent a chilling 30 minutes at the WWII memorial, with no one else around, when the lights and fountains went off for the night. Got my picture taken wearing I <3 Honey Badger gear in the team hotel in KC, with THE HONEYBADGER. Witnessed someone "borrow" the ladder from the Redondo Pier Inn to try and bring it into our room.... Left work on a whim, flew to San Francisco, watched the boys beat the smurfs in USOC play, and was back at work within 18 hours... Drove to San Francisco for a sad defeat, on a whim. Got to skip all the lines at Magic Mountain because we had a gimp! Took one epic journey in a mini-van to RSL in 2010, where we almost ran out of gas in some state down south, because we didn't want to spend any money in that shithole... and found an amazing bar with some friendly locals who gave us gas. (Eastern Oregon isn't so bad...) I've participated in a dance party while rolling on a bus through downtown Vancouver, preformed numerous keg stands at rest stops, and most importantly have made more friends then anywhere else. Oh did I tell anyone, I WAS ON THE MUTHA FUCKING PRICE IS RIGHT!!!!!!! All because of away games with the away boys.

Why should you go on an away trip???
IT IS THE MOST FUN YOU WILL EVER HAVE. I guarantee it. Now, if you go on a trip, and aren't with me, I will not guarantee it, because I bring the fun.

You will make new friends!! Come say hi to me. Find a random hotel floor to sleep on. We're fun peoples.

But Bossjersey, I don't drink, and it sounds like away trips are drunken booze fests.... Well, we do tend to go to adult establishments and have 1 or 20 beverages. If you don't drink, does this mean no fun? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! No one will judge you, or not include you. There is no pressure to consume!

I go on the bus trips to PDX and VAN, and that is enough away games for me. What is different about away travel? Do not get me wrong, the bus trips are fun times. But nothing beats going to an away city, and rolling into a stadium 2000 miles away 500 deep. Taking over an entire metro/subway/light rail in DC/NY/RSL. No other team in the MLS has support like we do. The March to the DC games is always exciting, we start at a bar by the national archives, then march across the mall when it is packed, and into the Metro station. We then proceed to take over an entire car for the journey, and march into RFK. We sure do get some odd looks during that... Away trips are so much more then the bus trips. Staying in a hotel and seeing new places, with new people is really awesome.

But Bossjersey, I didn't win 300 dollars on the price is right like you, and this all sounds very expensive. Well, this is the major downside to traveling away. I suggest starting small. Find people driving to San Jose. I have done that entire trip for less then 150 bucks, including gas, food, match ticket and hotels. I know people who have done it for even cheaper. Take a chance and roadtrip it with someone. Nothing makes people either love each other, or hate each other, then spending 20 hours in a car together.... If you can afford some airfare, keep watch on all the games. I will constantly be checking travelocity against the away schedule, and my work schedule. I was able to go to Columbus in 2010 for $112 r/t. You read that right, 112 bucks!! Also, if you have an easybiz account through alaska (which everyone should get...) they offer price matching, so if you book a flight through them, and the price goes down on that flight, they offer a price match, where you will get a voucher for the difference, to use on future travel.

Feel free to come and meet me and say hello. We'll be the best of friends, I am sure. Now come all the random hashtags we've created...

#awayboys #5dudes2beds1nest #10dudes4beds #speakeasy #dubbadubbashutthefuckup WE LOVE YOU MANNY, WE DO!! WE LOVE YOU STAN, WE DO!!
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SeattleCalcio » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43:59 pm

Terrific post, mainly the #5dudes2beds part.
SeattleCalcio
ECS Leadership

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16:57 am

the ratio must be kept!!
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby obi_fun_kenobi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02:41 am

excellent post! i caught the travel bug this last year last year and i loved each and every trip in there own way, we may not have won half the games and some were heartbreaking but i made new friends, grown closer to old ones and learned about myself each time. nothing better than sounders away #grownassjetta #anexcuseforanadventure #wereallgoingtovegas #suckitrsl
obi_fun_kenobi
Past ECS Member

Unread postby FuzzyForeigner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14:15 am

newsletter material
FuzzyForeigner
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16:29 am

Use it. Feel free to put my real name in it too, whoever is doing the newsletter nowadays.
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby supersecretsquirel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07:07 pm

I went on my first away trip when I was new to the group and knew next to no one - LA away playoff edition, November 2010. It was a completely spur of the moment decision for me, I was incredibly nervous booking my plane ticket, not really knowing anybody yet, but it was a decision I will never regret! It was my hotel room that the ladder was brought into (not by me...) - Magic Mountain was a blast, along with taking over the bars and restaurants of the Redondo Pier, tailgating at the HDC, so many good memories!

I walked into SeaTac all alone the morning I left, knowing that there would be several other ECS members on my flight or at least in the airport flying to LA around the time that I would be leaving. I ran into my first member in the security line, identified by the scarf tied to their pack, I proptly introduced myself and made my way through security with them (Foxer) and from there we met up with several others (futbolgirl, bender, and a few others) and it was on! I met a bunch of others at Magic Mountain (Nuthatch, Intelekshual, PatrickWSU, Prodigalreality, iwantabossjersey, Suzka...), even more were met at the hotel we had taken over (ZC42, MMClark, Yukataninja, Framlingham, , babyblue4b, SSC78, blurrygil, mcnarnia, miniburnsie and so many others) I met so many awesome people on this trip it was amazing. Everyone was welcoming and friendly, the only thing that could have made the trip better would have been winning the match.

If you are nervous or scared of going on a trip because you don't know anyone yet, don't be scared. Our travel monkeys do amazing work arranging match tickets, hotel discounts, parking, etc. you will have fun, you will meet great new people. It is worth the money invested to buy the plane ticket, rent the car, stay in the hotel, whatever method you use to get there, it doesn't matter, it is an adventure and you will never forget it.
supersecretsquirel
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30:32 pm

Yeah, sorry you walked into the airport alone.... I was supposed to pick supersecretsquirrel up in lake stevens, but put her number into my phone wrong... definitely woke some random dude up at 445 am.... that was fun.
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Jabsco » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40:07 pm

I just like being on TV.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53:29 pm

I think I've probably gained ultimate media whore status with my little appearance....
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Jabsco » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34:14 pm

And if you woulda turned the eff around and listened to us shouting the right price at you, it woulda been even longer!
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby obi_fun_kenobi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37:03 pm

shouting? don't you know you are supposed to sing from your diaphragm........ :lol:
obi_fun_kenobi
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Nikolai » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:45:40 pm

Ha I sincerely thank you for the write up, very well said and very convincing. That said all it does it make me feel bad for not being able to travel really at all but maybe a little better management of my finances might due the trick.

I was very close to hopping in a car last year with some away kids for a cali or SKC trip. I might make that happen this year now that I am a STH and wont be spending money each week on matches.
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Spinfyre » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57:42 pm

One of the main reasons I travel is for the chance of going into another teams house watching my team beat them. Oh the joy it brings to my heart.

Some of my favorite away trip moments include-
* Retrieving Patricks scarf in SJ
* 2011 Win @ PDX Away
* The Price is Right (LA Away 2012)
* The plane ride back from LA Away/PIR
* 2012 SJ Away (USOC) That awesome win
* The great Cupcakes and beer from SJ Away 2012
* The birth of Little Spoon at LA Away 2010/2011..?

Going on away trips is some of the most fun I have had in my life. If you are on the fence about going on one just do it. You won't regret it.
Spinfyre
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby jbraaten » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12:48 pm

iwantabossjersey wrote:Find a random hotel floor to sleep on

Check. I have to add Dave running into and around the hotel room at 5am singing The Price Is Right tune to wake us all up
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Next

Return to Away Trips