Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

MATCH DAY PLAN | PDX AWAY 8/24/2014

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby futbolgirl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18:43 pm

MAY WE HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

IT'S THE PDX AWAY MATCH DAY PLAN:

If you have questions related to the operations of this trips, please post your questions here so that others can benefit from the answers. Anything else will be ruthlessly removed in order to keep this campaign focused.

ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 24TH, WE WILL BE TRAVELING TO PDX TO SUPPORT SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC.
LOGISTICS FOR MATCH-ONLY and BUS+MATCH TICKET HOLDERS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

If you selected TUKWILA as your pickup location:

Be at the Tukwila International Blvd Light Rail Station Park & Ride NO LATER than 07:00. The buses will leave promptly at 07:15 and they WILL leave without you.

tukwila_pickup.jpg
tukwila_pickup.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

If you selected TACOMA as your pickup location:

Be at the pickup location SR512/I5 Park and Ride (address: 10617 S. Tacoma Way, Tacoma) NO LATER than 08:00. The buses will leave promptly at 08:15 and they WILL leave without you.

tacoma_pickup.jpg
tacoma_pickup.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

If you selected Olympia as your pickup location:

Be at the pickup location I5 & Martin Way Park and Ride NO LATER than 08:30. The buses will leave promptly at 08:45 and they WILL leave without you.

olympia_pickup.jpg
olympia_pickup.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

ALL BUS RIDERS:

The buses will NOT be making a food stop. You might get hungry. Bring food to eat. Image
We will be stopping at a rest area just before the Oregon border. Group photo, bathroom stop, and stow the booze under the bus.

We will arrive at Providence Park at NOON. ECS Security and Tifo Crews will disembark first and have first priority to enter the stadium. There is no consumption of alcohol permitted outside the stadium and we have been alerted that PDX PD are patrolling and enforcing strictly.

----------------------------------------

If you are meeting the buses in Portland:

Be at GATE 5 (SW corner of Providence Park on 20th Ave) NO LATER than NOON. Your tickets will be distributed outside the gate. They will not be left at will-call, so if you get there after we've all gone in - you're out of luck.

PDX%20drop%20off%20Map.png
PDX%20drop%20off%20Map.png (555.43 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

If you find yourself in Portland with time to spare on Sunday morning, consider stopping by the pre-funk hosted by our newest subgroup, Anchor N Rose 48s. The party starts at 09:00. Nothing says derby day like eggs & beer!

Silver Dollar Pizza Co
501 NW 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97209
http://www.silverdollarpizza.com/menu/

Be sure to get your drinks in before 11:30 so you can get to GATE 5 before NOON.

----------------------------------------

We will then pass through security together and enter the stadium. ECS has section 222. All our seats are to be treated as GA with the front rows reserved for capos, tifo, and security as needed.

It is always good protocol on away trips to keep your scarf tied.

Match starts at 14:00. Go mental for 90+ minutes and never let up. NEVER LET UP. Don't drink so much that you get sloppy and give anything less than your best. YOUR BEST IS EXPECTED.

We'll be held in the section for 20-30 minutes post match. Please plan to use the restroom prior to the final whistle, PDX security and ushers will not allow you onto the concourse post match until the 20-30 minutes have passed and the concourse is clear.

Get back on the bus (same bus, please) and we'll head home.

UP THE SOUNDERS! UP THE ECS!

Monkey out
futbolgirl
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Loretta » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:29:33 am

The first lite rail run out of downtown leaves about 6:20 getting to Tukwila at 6:55.

Runs are 15 minutes apart; next train: 6:37. (Hey I'm just reporting what Sound Transit has posted).

If there's a better way from downtown for the carless (car-less?) in Seattle, please post
Loretta
ECS Member 2019

Location: Hilltop on First Hill with the other active retirees

Unread postby FiLiFLiP » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56:04 am

Are PDX and Security going to be an issue for those not traveling home with the bus. We will stay the 20-30mins post match, but will we experience any issues when we go our separate ways?
FiLiFLiP
Past ECS Member

Unread postby hooliganron » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:03:57 am

I Have Not Had Any Issues Leaving.
hooliganron
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby futbolgirl » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11:43 am

FiLiFLiP wrote:Are PDX and Security going to be an issue for those not traveling home with the bus. We will stay the 20-30mins post match, but will we experience any issues when we go our separate ways?

Good question. Security and Portland PD are not going to be your biggest problem on Sunday. On a derby day, emotions always run high, and that's even before the match is played. I would NOT recommend hanging out anywhere within a four block radius of the stadium after the match. Most of the restaurants and bars in that area are associated with the TA in some way, and it only takes one person to answer back at a chucklehead and then all of sudden your filling out police reports.

Rightly or wrongly, your presence in the area, upsets some of the people of Portland. It doesn't matter whether you think they should grow up or not, the fact is, it bothers them and they are going to let you know it. They are going to cause a problem, and then that problem becomes your problem. So please, have enough respect for the small business owners who run these establishments to not create a problem with your presence. Someone's liquor license and livelihood could be on the line.

And, that's just NOT good soccer.
futbolgirl
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:29:33 am

I've had all kinds of experiences post-game in Portland. Largely it depends on the result, imo.

Win or lose, keep your head down, keep your mouth shut, and just keep moving to wherever you're going. The more discreet you can be, the less chance of something going off, though there's always a chance of some jumped up dumbshit getting in your face.

If it's a draw? Depends on the manner of the draw. After the 4-4 earlier this year, nobody said a word to us. It was actually very strange.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're going to be in Portland longer than just the game, the less conspicuous you can make yourself, the safer you'll be. Similarly, the more sober you are, the better off you'll probably be. Just a thought.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby C.How » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:14:57 pm

Who (exactly) should I look for to get my ticket (only) from at gate 5? I know many ECS members by sight so a name will definitely help. TY!
C.How
Past ECS Member

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18:59 pm

C.How wrote:Who (exactly) should I look for to get my ticket (only) from at gate 5? I know many ECS members by sight so a name will definitely help. TY!

There will be a few of us there, including me (Tom). We'll be lining up on the hill / sidewalk just outside of gate 5. We've been asked to line up there vs. the lower entrance area. Don't worry - if you're there on time, you'll get your ticket.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby whodunit » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:19:13 pm

departing @ 7:15 am should put us in Portland about 10-10:30. Kickoff is @ 2; this is almost 4 hours early. is this a good idea? have i missed something here?
whodunit
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Nikolai » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:28:34 pm

whodunit wrote:departing @ 7:15 am should put us in Portland about 10-10:30. Kickoff is @ 2; this is almost 4 hours early. is this a good idea? have i missed something here?

It's pretty standard Cascadia away protocol, leaving plenty of time for the unexpected. Per MLS rules organized traveling support must arrive at the stadium 2 hours before kickoff so we'll actually arrive around noon. We will hang out at the rest stop so people can stretch and kill kegs, that can take about 30 minutes to an hour sometimes, depending on when we actually arrive at the rest stop.

Just trust the Monkey plan and enjoy the ride, we've done this a time or two ;)
Nikolai
ECS Member 2020

Return to Away Trips