Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Away Trip - Vancouver - 5/16/15

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby astrojohnny » Fri May 15, 2015 12:09:46 am

I have a ticket for sale, match only no bus. Prefer paypal and can forward as soon as its confirmed. PM me if you want it.

Also, does anyone know of any away-supporter friendly bars around B.C. Place? My girlfriend and I are heading up tomorrow and want to prefunk before but have heard most bars in the area are pretty hostile. Thanks!
astrojohnny
Past ECS Member

Unread postby 49thsounderfan » Fri May 15, 2015 10:31:54 am

astrojohnny wrote:I have a ticket for sale, match only no bus. Prefer paypal and can forward as soon as its confirmed. PM me if you want it.

Also, does anyone know of any away-supporter friendly bars around B.C. Place? My girlfriend and I are heading up tomorrow and want to prefunk before but have heard most bars in the area are pretty hostile. Thanks!

Hi,

As a Vancouver local these are the bars I would definitely avoid as a Sounder fan - Library Square, the Pint, and Doolin's. Library Square and Doolin's are Whitecap Supporter pubs and all three of them are particularly douchetacular regularly. Unfortunately these are also some of the closer bars. That being said Canadians are polite and you won't be refused service at any of these locations.

Where I would go based on time:

No Time - Well if you end up realizing you have no time to prefunk and must get in stadium, the variety of beer has recently gone up at BC Place (still primarily Budweiser). You can now buy a craft tall boy for $9.25 (this is amazing for Vancouver). They also now allow for hard spirits to be purchased during sporting events so if that's your thing you can do that as well.

Less Time - There are some meh sports bars close to the stadium i.e. directly across the street that are should do the trick.

In between Less time and Medium amount - Gastown, pricier area similar to Belltown bars are pretty meh here, only one of note really is the Alibi Room which is a craft beer mecca ($6.50 - $7.75/beer) of Vancouver if not Western Canada.

Medium amount of time - Craft Beer Market or Tap and Barrel Olympic Village located in the Olympic Village area about a 20 minute walk (1mi from BC Place). They are large pubs that can accommodate many people. Both have good beer/wine lists and food. Craft boasts 100 draft lines and has some interesting beer.

Most Time - Go to brewery creek area (Main St & 5/6th avenues) which is comparable to Ballard's breweries - beers here can be cheaper here then at actual bars ($2 - $6). These places are about 1.4 miles away from the stadium or about 30 minute walk, also accessible by transit or car (street parking only).

Feel free to ask any other questions about Vancouver. I will be also attending the game tomorrow.
49thsounderfan
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby bmvaughn » Fri May 15, 2015 10:45:00 am

We have been specifically asked to avoid these bars as they are Whitecaps-only:
eyond Restaurant and Lounge
Charles Bar
Forum Sports Bar
Hamilton Street Bar and Grill
Incendios
Ivanhoe Pub
Kingston Taphouse
LampLighter Public House
Lennox Pub
Monk Mcqueens
Phatter Sports Bar
Score on Davie
St Regis Bar & Grill
The Morrissey
Yaletown Brewing
bmvaughn
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Antiei30 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:03:13 am

Antiei30 wrote:
supbuttercup14 wrote:I'm also looking for one ticket with bus for the VAN away match. Where is the ticket exchange?

I have one bus ticket combo. Send me a DM.

Ticket sold bullet sweating over as my friend just received his passport back in yesterday's mail. Close call averted.
Antiei30
ECS Leadership

Unread postby briancash » Fri May 15, 2015 11:56:03 am

49thsounderfan wrote:
astrojohnny wrote:I have a ticket for sale, match only no bus. Prefer paypal and can forward as soon as its confirmed. PM me if you want it.

Hi,

As a Vancouver local these are the bars I would definitely avoid as a Sounder fan - Library Square, the Pint, and Doolin's. Library Square and Doolin's are Whitecap Supporter pubs and all three of them are particularly douchetacular regularly. Unfortunately these are also some of the closer bars. That being said Canadians are polite and you won't be refused service at any of these locations.

Where I would go based on time:

No Time - Well if you end up realizing you have no time to prefunk and must get in stadium, the variety of beer has recently gone up at BC Place (still primarily Budweiser). You can now buy a craft tall boy for $9.25 (this is amazing for Vancouver). They also now allow for hard spirits to be purchased during sporting events so if that's your thing you can do that as well.

Less Time - There are some meh sports bars close to the stadium i.e. directly across the street that are should do the trick.

In between Less time and Medium amount - Gastown, pricier area similar to Belltown bars are pretty meh here, only one of note really is the Alibi Room which is a craft beer mecca ($6.50 - $7.75/beer) of Vancouver if not Western Canada.

Medium amount of time - Craft Beer Market or Tap and Barrel Olympic Village located in the Olympic Village area about a 20 minute walk (1mi from BC Place). They are large pubs that can accommodate many people. Both have good beer/wine lists and food. Craft boasts 100 draft lines and has some interesting beer.

Most Time - Go to brewery creek area (Main St & 5/6th avenues) which is comparable to Ballard's breweries - beers here can be cheaper here then at actual bars ($2 - $6). These places are about 1.4 miles away from the stadium or about 30 minute walk, also accessible by transit or car (street parking only).

Feel free to ask any other questions about Vancouver. I will be also attending the game tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briancash
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby briancash » Fri May 15, 2015 11:56:40 am

thanks for all the bar suggestions to all us getting up/staying in Vancouver for the night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briancash
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby balikian » Fri May 15, 2015 3:07:11 pm

Hey all. My wife can't make the game tomorrow, so I've got an extra. Paid $35 for it, but am open to taking less if someone can use it. you can hit me up at frito@cheeseandbeer.com. see ya'll there.
balikian
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby VancouverCapsFan » Fri May 15, 2015 4:41:22 pm

Hey guys,

'Caps fan here. I just wanted to weigh in on some of the bar options I saw floating around here. As it has been mentioned, Doolins, Library Square and The Pint are places you should probably stay clear of on gameday. As far as the long list of bars that are "Whitecaps fans only," those are Whitecaps affiliate bars -- basically bars that have reached some sort of agreement to host Away viewings and discounts to Whitecaps Season Ticket holders. It is probably suggested by the FO that you don't go there simply because of how some may perceive a "Whitecaps sponsor" bar hosting a bunch of Sounders fans.

I was trying to think of a good place that you guys could meet up at that could also accommodate a bit larger of a group, and while it may be about a 15 minute-ish walk to the stadium Steamworks may be a possibility. http://steamworks.com/brew-pub They have a decent selection of beers (granted, it's their own brewed beer) and the price is pretty good as well. They have a good basement level bar area that would accommodate a group in a more open setting, too.

Anyway, was just a thought. Maybe someone who is staying the night today can scope it out for you guys. Have a good trip, and have fun in Vancouver!
VancouverCapsFan
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby VancouverCapsFan » Fri May 15, 2015 5:37:25 pm

Sorry, another placed just popped into mind. A couple blocks closer than Steamworks is a place called Malones. It has 32 beers on tap (see them here: http://malones.bc.ca/Drinks.aspx ) and a single-level, big open bar. It's on the corner of Seymour and Pender, about 10 minutes from the stadium. I think that'd be a good place to pre-drink.
VancouverCapsFan
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby bgk » Sun May 17, 2015 9:27:17 am

I had a great time on the bus with everyone. Cannot wait until our trip to Portscum!
bgk
Past ECS Member

Unread postby crdiaz73 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:13:56 pm

Was on the Neagle bus and had a blast as well! Hope to meet up with everyone again at other matches. Carlos
Last edited by crdiaz73 on Sat May 23, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crdiaz73
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Sat May 23, 2015 3:21:02 pm

crdiaz73 wrote:Was on the Beagle bus and had a blast as well! Hope to meet up with everyone again at other matches. Carlos

Glad to have you on the trip, see you next time hopefully!
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Previous

Return to Away Trips