Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

Away Trip - Houston - 4/10/16

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby balikian » Thu Apr 7, 2016 6:23:30 pm

Full disclosure: I grew up in Houston but haven't lived there since '95. Anywho...

Went last fall to the game there. great time. Met my childhood friend, Troy who has Dynamo season tickets. Everyone around him was very gracious and cool at us interlopers. They had old Dynamo sitting behind us and I was psyched to shake Brian Ching's hand.

We're heading back for this game as it happened to fall on the same weekend as my wife and her sister's favorite night at #'s. THeir 80's friday night is having it's 25th anniversary party, so we'll be there friday night. Saturday? No idea. Sunday, There will at least be 3 sounders fans and a whooooole bunch of dynamo fans grabbing beers at the 8th Wonder brewery a few blocks east of the stadium.

Last year, we managed street parking which was free and near the brewery. Probably try the same again this year. October and April are THE months to attend a match in Houston for sure.

Things to do? I dunno. Been years since I've lived there. Galveston is interesting. The beach is warm and brown. It's about a 45 minute drive from downtown. The Heights is pretty cool - think Texas fremont.

You can check out http://www.houstonpress.com/calendar for stuff to do. Westheimer/Montrose is maybe still cool. Come to #'s on Friday night and say hey. Or Cecil's is a favorite of my wife and her sister's. Fitzgerald's was one of my favorite music venues back in the day.

Maybe I'll see ya'll there! Go SOUNDERS!
balikian
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby balikian » Thu Apr 7, 2016 6:25:57 pm

Oh, one more thing, last year we ate at El Tiempo which is now my favorite mexican restaurant in Houston. There's a Houston chain called Ninfa's. The family that started that sold it, apparently, and opened El Tiempo. It's fan-freaking-tastic. Highly recommended. South of downtown on Navigation - not too far from the stadium.
balikian
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby salazarsa » Fri Apr 8, 2016 9:30:59 am

what does the 4x8 flag limit mean? 4 feet by 8 feet?

if anyone has any H town questions, salazarsa@gmail.com

for anyone driving, BE CAREFUL, they are NUTS NUTS NUTS here!!!!!
salazarsa
Emerald City Supporter

Unread postby salazarsa » Fri Apr 8, 2016 9:42:17 am

balikian wrote:Oh, one more thing, last year we ate at El Tiempo which is now my favorite mexican restaurant in Houston. There's a Houston chain called Ninfa's. The family that started that sold it, apparently, and opened El Tiempo. It's fan-freaking-tastic. Highly recommended. South of downtown on Navigation - not too far from the stadium.

yeah, also there is Taqueria Arandas chains, now that is authentic because none of the tables are level, but the food is AWESOME!!!! cheap too!!!!

Another one that's pretty DARN good is MAMBO's Seafood, that's mexican style seafood, excellent and also cheap!

if you want to get some Houston BBQ, check out a place called "the hungry farmer", it gets high ratings every year at the Houston Rodeo.

if you let me know where you are, i can tell you what is good in that area.

going to FREEPORT-TX (East of Galveston, it's cleaner) beach Saturday from 2-7p with a crowd of locals if anyone wants to come, salazarsa@gmail.com
salazarsa
Emerald City Supporter

Previous

Return to Away Trips