Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

How to find cheaper last minute airfare

Travel with ECS to see SSFC play outside of Seattle.

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08:47 am

With us not knowing where we will play this weekend until the last minute, with the RSL/LAFC match ending probably around 9pm or later with extra time... Airfare can be quite pricey. While you do have 24 hours to cancel, if you are into the speculation game, that rule does not go into effect if the travel is within 24 hours, so I would not recommend buying airfare to leave on Friday during that match. Wait until it is over.

This is purely speculation, but I will plan that if LAFC beats RSL, the match will be on Sunday so they have more than a day of rest. Dallas on Saturday. Again, MLS could MLS and these games could end up whenever the hell they feel like it.... It wouldn't shock me if RSL won (we can't go there, remember) that they play on Monday as Utah doesn't like events on Sunday....

So, currently:
Fri-Sun Seattle to Dallas: Currently $597 on Alaska. I won't even talk about the cheapest, Spirit.... Pay the $10 more and get on Alaska. Pending time/date, there is a red-eye, so a smash and grab with no hotel is plausible. Last Alaska flight back is in the 7pm hour.
LAFC: It looks like a pure smash and grab might not be possible, as its looking like the first flight out is at 11am?? Everything before that must be full-up.... It is looking around $800 in this situation.

So how do you do this cheaper??
Look at vacation packages! You're going to need a hotel most likely. Often times this late a package with a hotel can be significantly cheaper than just airfare.
Go to travelocity or on the alaska homepage, select vacation package for your search.

Fri-Sun Dallas, with 2 nights in a hotel: If you book with a friend, its looking like it is under $500 each. This INCLUDES AIRFARE AND 2 NIGHTS IN HOTEL!! Even the fancy-schmantzy Omni-Hotel in downtown Dallas (i wouldn't stay there, but hey..) is only $566.

LA Sat-Monday: Currently I'm seeing some options around $380 each, if booking with 2 people... Killer deal.

Remember, always book directly through the airline when you can. Even if Delta or something shows up cheaper on an aggregator search, go to their vacations page. If irregular operations happen, you'll get better customer service and taken care of more easy.

Also, don't forget to sign up for Alaska EasyBiz!! See the pinned post link before this one!

Oh, If you're looking to go real cheap... Find a mini van and 6 friends. Its roughly 32 hours to Frisco, about 19 to LA.....
EBFG
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Mavic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:33:23 am

You think they would play on a Sat?? I bought LAX and Dallas, for a Sunday match. I just cancell one of the two...and save in my travel funds. Big thanks for the write up...didnt think about the 24 hour rule.
Mavic
ECS Member 2019

Unread postby iwantabossjersey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25:07 pm

MLS going to MLS. Cancellation fees can be quite hefty. Some of those "basic economy" fares won't even let you cancel and get a credit anymore....

Also of random note, both the Rams and USC are away this weekend, so there wouldn't be something at the coliseum which i imagine would've sealed the fate on date if at LA.
iwantabossjersey
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby mindi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03:04 am

iwantabossjersey wrote:Oh, If you're looking to go real cheap... Find a mini van and 6 friends. Its roughly 32 hours to Frisco, about 19 to LA.....
EBFG

So if we end up playing Dallas, wake up Friday and start driving!

(But seriously, thank you for the tips!)
mindi
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby rickhendricks » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:52:42 am

iwantabossjersey wrote:Oh, If you're looking to go real cheap... Find a mini van and 6 friends. Its roughly 32 hours to Frisco, about 19 to LA.....
EBFG

We can scratch out that Frisco trip as Dallas has finally cratered.

Also, Daylight Saving Time ends Saturday night, so you get an extra hour to get to LA on Sunday!
rickhendricks
ECS Member 2020

Return to Away Trips