Emerald City Supporters

Proud Supporters of Seattle Sounders FC

9/4/13 :: SSFC : Chivas -- KICK 19:00

Everything match specific.

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu Sep 5, 2013 8:15:56 am

Llarian wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure where some of the Estrada love has been coming from. I thought he was terrible.

Yeah, he's not good.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby jbraaten » Thu Sep 5, 2013 9:22:02 am

SP The Ghost wrote:
Llarian wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure where some of the Estrada love has been coming from. I thought he was terrible.

Yeah, he's not good.

Mostly have to agree with you. Estrada is a hustler, not a play creator. He's only good at providing pressure and being at the right place at the right time for shots on goal. As for play creation and 1v1's, he needs a lot of work - he kept on getting beat last night for trying those things. That's where Neagle and him split in quality. Once Neagle started taking people on (and beating them) and seeing the plays happen, he got dangerous.

Speaking of hustle, Mauro hauls week in and week out. Last night especially. I know he's lost some of his earlier stamor, but he hustles so frickin hard. Well deserved armband.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby jbraaten » Thu Sep 5, 2013 9:23:45 am

Also, awesome support last night. For a midweek match and seeing so many tickets for sale, I was pleasantly surprised on the loudness and energy.
jbraaten
Past ECS Member

Unread postby Llarian » Thu Sep 5, 2013 9:51:13 am

Mauro had an excellent match. He's been great lately.

I've been really critical of his play/health earlier this season, but if he can actually stay healthy and keep up this pace through the playoffs, I feel pretty comfortable about our chances. (In as much as you can feel comfortable about the playoffs in MLS)
Llarian
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby cethe » Thu Sep 5, 2013 10:05:26 am

if i'm recalling correctly estrada had one or two touches that did kind of impress me. but otherwise was just there to annoy the chivas backline & maybe clean up some poor clearance, which he almost did.
i'll never fault the kid for not trying...but yeah his skill isn't that great overall
cethe
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby bougiehoolie » Thu Sep 5, 2013 10:07:58 am

cethe wrote:if i'm recalling correctly estrada had one or two touches that did kind of impress me. but otherwise was just there to annoy the chivas backline & maybe clean up some poor clearance, which he almost did.
i'll never fault the kid for not trying...but yeah his skill isn't that great overall

there were two right in front of us (we sit in 125) late in the game where he played a bit of keep away with two defenders and kept the ball moving - he came into the end looking a tad overmatched but held his own - but other than that, we didn't see a ton. He brought some energy to the field and the crowd, for sure, at a few points.
bougiehoolie
ECS Co-President

Unread postby JerrarDAtkinson » Thu Sep 5, 2013 10:12:45 am

this is another match where i've got to give credit to Sigi. the high pressure was great to watch. so much of the ball was spent in our attacking half, it didn't matter so much that we couldn't create because we were rarely in danger. Estrada is no question crap on the ball, but he does pressure defenders intelligently and doggedly, and will chase the hopeful outlet balls that the less skilled guys like Scott and Carrasco hit to get themselves out of trouble. he was the right guy to partner with Neagle for the way we had to play last night. this is going out on a limb, but I would guess that we worked on some set pieces this week as well. without our big playmakers, it was was always going to be a set piece or defensive error that would led to our chances.

Chivas aren't great and we should expect to win at home every time. but I think the big man made the correct adjustments for this match to help make it happen.

as far as players go I'd give my plaudits to Alonso, Burch and Traore. good, professional performances from all of them.
JerrarDAtkinson
Past ECS Member

Unread postby endlessrevolt » Thu Sep 5, 2013 11:31:41 am

In the last couple months, I feel like Mauro has finally regained the quality he was rocking back in 2011. He's playing great and our offense is lost without him. We've got a lot of fixtures coming up, I really hope that the coaching staff are intelligent about making sure he doesn't see too much wear. We need this Mauro for the playoffs.
endlessrevolt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby SP The Ghost » Thu Sep 5, 2013 11:34:04 am

endlessrevolt wrote:In the last couple months, I feel like Mauro has finally regained the quality he was rocking back in 2011. He's playing great and our offense is lost without him. We've got a lot of fixtures coming up, I really hope that the coaching staff are intelligent about making sure he doesn't see too much wear. We need this Mauro for the playoffs.

And here lies my only criticism of last night. Why leave it so late to make the changes with a game Saturday? Baffling.
SP The Ghost
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby Jabsco » Thu Sep 5, 2013 11:35:08 am

^^^ Agree. I couldn't figure out what the hell Mauro was doing out there beyond about 65'. He went far too many minutes to do more than about 20 on Saturday if we need him.
Jabsco
ECS Member 2020

Unread postby endlessrevolt » Thu Sep 5, 2013 11:36:08 am

Yeah, Sigi was way too late with subs.
endlessrevolt
Past ECS Member

Unread postby ericgi » Thu Sep 5, 2013 2:28:35 pm

^^^
broken record lolz

Good that we had Chivas as the opponent to get away with basically a reserve team lineup... god they were horrible in the first half marking people up and leaving loads of space on the wings. Definitely a case of the right opponent at the right time. We'd have gotten our arses handed to us by a playoff contender rolling out what we did last night.
ericgi
ECS Founder

Unread postby 454k30 » Thu Sep 5, 2013 2:40:54 pm

What a match! Right now our team looks unstoppable. Bring on the Fire!
454k30
ECS Member 2020

Previous

Return to Match Day